Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Love You My Snow-Deprived Southerners

Dear Southerners,

You guys are a hoot.  Seeing you running around all happy and under-dressed reminds me of a time when it was cool that white stuff falls from the sky.  I love that you’re making snow angels in the shallow accumulation and trying to sled even though there is grass poking up right next to your trashcan lids.  And I'm not being sarcastic here, I really do love it.

When I was a “new” New Yorker, a co-worker asked why I was using an umbrella to walk through the snow.  I shrugged and replied that I didn’t know what to do when it snowed.  And from the looks of the news stories, neither do you, friends. 

But no judgment from me.  Your road panic is totally reasonable given that there is not a plow or a pile of salt within three states of you.  I'm not laughing that you're stuck on the road or spending the night at work because that sounds pretty rotten.    

Maybe the next time I'm wrestling a stroller through the snow, I will stop and make a snow angel in your honor.  But probably not because that's messy and I have to get to places like the grocery store or work or my son’s gym class, all of which will be open.  And because I've sadly lost the "OMG there is snow falling!?!?" kind of awe.

Sincerely,

a displaced southerner who still uses an umbrella when it snows


This little Yankee has seen more snow in his 11 months than I did in my first 20 years.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been a Northerner, and I love when snow is coming down gently enough here in NYC that I can use an umbrella! Growing up on the shore of Lake Erie, the wind and sheer amount of snow dropping from the sky made umbrellas pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During our last big one (last week), I experienced my quickest and most severe umbrella failure ever. A gust of wind blew it inside out and the metal parts crackled and broke. I dropped in the next trash can. So yeah, I guess sometimes there is just no point.

      Delete