Monday, September 3, 2012

Gender Guessing


First a friendly disclaimer:  You will not actually learn our baby's gender from this post.  For one thing, we don't know ourselves because it's too early.  Secondly, we don't want to know anyway.  But there's no harm in a little fun!

There are plenty of myths and superstitions out there about figuring out the gender of your baby.   I guess this is what women did before the high resolution ultrasounds.  These are from old wives tales and not at all scientific (in case you thought they might be).

Note: The website I got these from advises against buying baby clothes based on these results.  So we'll still be sticking with the yellow/green theme to be safe.

Myth #1:  Heartrate
This is a very popular myth, although it’s been disproven.  If the baby’s heart beats faster than 140 beats per minute, it’s a girl.  At the latest measurement, Little Munchkin’s heart was beating at a  rapid 170 bpm.  Must be a GIRL!

Myth #2:  Cravings
If the mother is craving sweets, it’s a boy.  If she’s craving sour foods, it’s a girl.  Shoot, I’m not craving either of these things.  What about pizza?  Inconclusive.

Myth #3:  Morning Sickness
If you have severe morning sickness, it’s a girl.  I'm a lucky lady without any morning sickness so baby is likely a BOY.

Myth #4:  The Wedding Ring Swing
Suspend your wedding ring over your belly.  If it swings back and forth, it's a boy.  If it swings in a circle, it's a girl.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but for the sake of entertainment, I did this with both of our wedding rings and it swung in a definite circle both times.  A GIRL, for sure.

Myth #5:  Chinese Lunar Calendar
Some guy in a tomb came up with this chart 700 year ago.  I don't know why this dude was hanging out in a tomb or why he felt this was a good use of his time.  I'm sure it's totally bogus, but...since I just suspended a wedding ring hanging by a thread over my belly...the lunar calendar says we’re having a GIRL.

There you go, folks.  With a score of 3-1-1, obviously Little Munchkin is a GIRL.

**In case you missed it the first time, it is not advisable to buy baby clothes or decorate a nursery based on these results.**

The test I did not try: 
Mix your urine with Drano and base the gender off of what color it turns.  This just sounds expensive and silly.  And since when should a pregnant woman be sniffing Drano fumes?!


And...here's a 15 week bump picture.


Originally, I had in mind that I would take all my photos with the same outfit on.  But that was before I knew how unflattering these pants would become.  On to more structured clothing for future bump pics!

6 comments:

  1. too funny!!!! You look great Andrea, the whole experience is a blast, enjoy every minute! Denise Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! We are definitely enjoying it and looking forward to meeting the little guy/gal in February!

      Delete
  2. Love this! And from now on when random people on the street ask you what your having, and you say we don't know, you'll get everyones opinion on it : ) very funny things people have done over the years to figure out what they are having - yellow and green are good, and pink, or blue will go just fine w/ either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca - Yes, I'm sure I will hear many opinions, especially in this city where EVERYONE has one! It's too early to predict gender based on how high or wide I'm carrying but I definitely anticipate those comments soon.

      Delete
  3. LOVE that y'all are not finding out! We didn't either with Thomas. And I had my 20 week ultrasound today for our second due in January and we are going to be surprised again. You get WAY more practical gifts this way and it's a lot easier not to find out than most people think. The surprise is fun! Praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, Corie, I didn't know you guys were expecting #2. Congrats! I'm glad to hear you have succeeded with the gender unknown route. Yay for surprises! And practical gifts!

      Delete